CBR: "Falcon and Winter Soldier: How Contessa Originally Tested Marvel's Limits"



Falcon and Winter Soldier: How Contessa Originally Tested Marvel's Limits

BY BRIAN CRONIN

As is often the case for film franchises, while the James Bond films were a success from the start with 1962's Dr. No, it was the sequels that really started to build the momentum of the property and turn James Bond into a sensation. 1963's From Russia With Love was released in the United States in early Summer 1964 and was a much bigger hit, and Goldfinger was even more highly anticipated with a Christmas week opening later that year in the States. Bond's fame led to NBC going straight to Bonds' creator, Ian Fleming, with the help of their own Bond riff, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (originally, since Fleming came up with the main character, Napoleon Solo, it was going to be called Ian Fleming's Solo, but since there was a character named Solo in Goldfinger, the movie studio threatened NBC and the network backed down and changed the name to The Man From U.N.C.L.E.) Hot off of the spy craze, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was a total sensation.


Stan Lee later recalled to TwoMorrows' Alter Ego #104, "There was a very popular television show called The Man from U.N.C.L.E., sort of a James Bond type of thing. And I thought, just for fun, I'm going to bring Sgt. Fury back again. But it's now years later and I'm going to make him a colonel, and I'm going to make him the head of an outfit like U.N.C.L.E., a secret military outfit. So I had to think of a name, and I love names, so I came up with the name S.H.I.E.L.D. … And I think this was Jack's idea, and it was a wonderful idea — they were headquartered in a floating helicarrier, which was like a super-dirigible...."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Man From A.U.N.T.I.E. - the complete Mad magazine parody

All Man From UNCLE episodes in the internet? For free?

David Beckham cameo in the Man From UNCLE 2015