Guy Ritchie talks to Collide about his UNCLE


Guy Ritchie is a young (46) and very talented British movie director. His fame started with the violent Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Snatch (2000). In 2009 he dared to reinvent the myth of Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey Jr. Now, he is giving his unique view (as director and co-screenwriter) of a 50 years old TV institution: The Man From UNCLE.

Steve Weintrab, from Collide site, made the most complete interview with Ritchie about UNCLE. Excerpts:

COLLIDE: Why remake Man from U.N.C.L.E.?
GUY RITCHIE: It appealed to me, frankly. I wanted something to do after Sherlock, we looked at every project that was on the market and none of them tickled my fancy, really. It was just the title, I suppose it was a nostalgic thing, I always thought it was a cool title. I always liked the tone of the TV series. I thought it’d have legs and I thought I could do a good job with it, that’s really why.
COLLIDE If you could talk about the tone, were there certain movies you were looking at?
RITCHIE: There were certain movies, I suppose it’s a tone more than movies that I’m attracted to, that can watch endlessly. If you find a TV series that you like, you like the tone of the TV series or the movie. In a way, it’s a better illustration as a TV series because it goes on for so long and you have to have a consistent tone, I think that’s what I’m interested in. A tone like Butch Cassidy. The funny thing about Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is I remember it not being a very revered film, and the reason it wasn’t revered at the time was that it was a comedy, people tend to look slightly down their nose at a comedy. Thinking, ‘Oh that’s a comedy so we won’t take it that seriously,’ and I think it’s that much harder to make a good comedy than it is straight and apparently serious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Man From A.U.N.T.I.E. - the complete Mad magazine parody

All Man From UNCLE episodes in the internet? For free?

David Beckham cameo in the Man From UNCLE 2015